Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Nanaimo

Recently a dear friend treated me to an awesome dessert - the Nanaimo bar.



If you are a brownie lover or a chocoholic like me you'd die for it.  A thin chocolate slab would melt in your mouth with a soft taste of pudding or marshmallow which would end with again another piece of biscuit like delicious decadence of cocoa or chocolate.  Don't ask for the recipe, it is sinfully sumptuous.

My friend Anne made it for me and she did it oh so perfectly...but let it be with her, cause I dare not count my Weight Watchers Points for that.

With a bite of this delicious thing, it brought me memories of the place- Nanaimo we visited last fall.

The name Nanaimo means- the strong big tribe. But what I'd associate with this name is a tranquil quaint little place where I had a chance to listen to different sounds of the water.  The swooshing waves when a big ship passes as well as gurgling books and how water purls that are caught between pebbles and rocks.

Go to Nanoose Bay if you want to escape from the hustle bustle of the rushed life, sit on the rock and observe all kinds of shorebirds at the end of a day.

 A trip to Regards Coffee in the morning should have been a must,  we heard from our new friends Richard and Mary, but we missed it and I am more of a tea drinker.  Tea Desire is a grand place also.

Don't you miss meeting the goats on a rooftop at Coombs Old Market and definitely not the ice cream they sell there.  Out of one hundred choices, I was confused indeed, and asked for  Dulce de leche and was not disappointed at all.

Next, we went to the Englishman River Falls  Park.  A nice place for a short hike. Here what I'd remember are the awesome shades of green nature had to offer.  The dark green strokes on the branches of junipers and pines, the fern green sweeps on the bushes and shrubs along the falls and then the moss balls...oh so soft like velvet blanket on the rocks.
                                                                 

It was only about a three-hour ferry ride from Vancouver and was very worth it for the tranquility it gave us.




No comments:

Post a Comment