Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Why Should You Blog?

Why another blog post?

Why should you blog? And if so about what?

Last Saturday in our California Writers Club the discussion topic was about Writing Blogs.

We know that though one of the main reason to have a blog is monetizing, I knew it was not my main reason.

The reason for my blog started as journaling my journey as a writer.  The agony and ecstasy I feel.

Ecstasy:

 When I accomplish writing a new piece that I like. The high I get when something good happens in my writing life like winning a prize in a contest or receiving a publishing promise, which seldom happens.

 Agony:

Mostly it is the numbness when I stare at a blank page and suffer writer's block.  It is the feeling of shame and low self-esteem I suffer for procrastinating and miss deadlines.

I establish my lack of concentration, lack of discipline, a lack of perseverance and trustworthiness.

I fail constantly to keep the promises I make to myself and prove my vulnerability.



What's the point writing about all this negativity?

As a result, I remain silent and dig huge gaps between my blog posts.

Today I felt recharged and encouraged after the seminar.  I came to know that that is the case with many bloggers.  This vulnerability is our common ground  Together we can do something about it.

What I took away  from the seminar: Reasons to Blog:

* Self Improvement
* Giving back and sharing. Like sharing someone else's writing or a book review.

As a fiction writer, I feel confused about the topics to cover.  I found some wonderful ideas in Jane Friedmans blog articles.

 Then, I came across another article by Jerry Jenkins where he talked about twenty different steps for finishing a book.

Out of the twenty or so ideas,  the one I picked up  today is the seventh one

Establish a Sacred Deadline

I decided to take twelve months to gather, edit and add stories from my old diary and knit them in a thematic thread. Each memoir piece will be 2000 words or so.  In order to make a book, I should aim for 25 to 30 such pieces, which means I must produce at least two to three a month.

It is doable.

 Are you a writer?  Do you have such a concrete plan? If not why not make one,  and be my writing buddy?   I'd die to hear from you in the comment box.


No comments:

Post a Comment